I wish this post was about two of my favorite things- Coffee and Shoes but really it has to do with my obsession with floors!!!!
Foundation is underway and as you can see it’s quite the undertaking! In my previous post, I had mentioned that we were going with a tad bit complicated foundation system where a suspended slab would be placed on a pier and beam grid.
From quite early on, we were leaning towards having a flooring on the main level that would be easy to maintain, environment friendly, pet friendly, kid friendly, modern and COOL (yup a big must have in places where temperatures soar to almost 110 deg on a really bad day!).Having weighed all the pros and cons,let’s just say it was a Concrete decision 😉
This article on Houzz is a really good read on the 3 green minded question to ask for considering concrete floors.
It is useful to have a conversation with the contractor/ foundation company to check if it is an option in a new construction as the cost and soil condition would be deciding factors.
Also, if you are really going down that route then there is some amount of coordination that is required between the foundation contractor, the structural engineer and the company that will polish the floors ( as they need to check for aggregate size in the concrete depending on the look you decide to go for).
Here are the 7 reasons we opted for Concrete floors:
- Environmentally friendly.
- Easy Care-Extremely easy to clean.
- Works well in warm weather-Concrete’s absorption of warm and cool air minimizes the need for heating and cooling.
- Concrete is good for indoor air quality because it inhibits mold, mildew, and odors, contains no potentially harmful VOCs, and can be finished with zero-VOC sealers.
- Waterproof or at least extremely water resistant when properly screened.
- Chic and contemporary.
Cons ( depends on how you see it)
- Anything fragile that falls will BREAK.
- Hairline cracks and sometimes uneven aggregate may show.
- Not very suitable for cooler climates.
Are you ready to have your mind blown away with how amazing concrete floors look?
Here comes your dose of Pin-spiration 😄
What do you think?